Thursday, July 21, 2005

Triple Four - Review

Okay, I admit it. I'm a game snob. Just as my wine snob brothers, I tend to
turn my nose up at games based solely on the premise. Therefore, when I had
the opportunity to play the newest game, Triple Four, I hesitated. Sure, I
really liked Sequence, also made by Jax, but some of their other offerings I
didn't enjoy nearly as much. However, I was there and nothing else was going
on, so I bellied up to the bar and said, "Deal me in."

Much to my snobby surprise, Triple Four is a fantastic rummy style game in
the same spirit as Phase 10 or Five Crowns. The premise is quite simple: be
the first to complete four "Triplet" Cards and you win. Completing Triplet
cards is relatively easy, as you just need to collect the cards that match
the instructions on the card. For example, you might need to have a run of
three hearts or three red queens. Simple and easy but deceptively
challenging.

Game play is equally simple, yet easy to play. Start out by dealing seven
cards to each player and three of the Triplet Cards. On his or her turn,
each player will draw the top card either from the draw pile or from the
discard pile. If a player is able to complete a Triplet card, they do so.
They then draw bonus cards from the draw pile and a new Triplet card. If
not, the player discards a card and play continues around the table. Since
there is no penalty for having extra cards in your hand at the end of a
game, a strong bonus exists for those who can complete a Triplet card as
more playing cards give you more options.

The other twist is that once I've played a Triplet card, it is not safe. Oh
no, that would make life easy. You can steal your opponents Triplet cards as
long as you have appropriate cards. Again, let's say that the Triplet card
says, "3 of a Kind: Any Suit" and you play completed the card in front of
you. On my next turn, I can play three Kings, steal the card, and
potentially win the game. This twist makes this a wonderfully wicked game.

The components are simple but functional for game play. The cards are basic
cards that you would find in most any game, not unlike what you would find
in Sequence. The card trays are basic plastic, but are very functional.
Overall, for the price, the components are exactly what you would expect.
Another nice feature is that since the game uses normal playing cards for
the basic decks, replacements are very easy to come by should the inevitable
happen and you lose a card.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable game and probably the best game from Jax
since Sequence. Game play is simple and straightforward but has some
excellent opportunities for sticking it to your neighbor. Although the
simple description or the basic box might put you off, don't let it fool
you. This game is perfect for the Phase 10, Five Crowns, or Rummy lover.

And yes, I learned my lesson. Again. Never judge a game by its cover. You
might be amazed at what you'll enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home